Happy Monday, WG2E-Land!
Thinking About Partnering Up with a fellow author to add another experience to your publishing journey?
Here’s how two authors -
of ParanormYA did it…
Are you about to be a self-publisher? Maybe feeling a little scared and insecure? You may want to consider coming out with a partner. Okay, let’s rephrase that. What we mean is, partnering up with another author to release your respective novels into the world.
Two heads really can be better than one. Teaming up with a partner for a blog tour is the perfect way to lessen that queasy feeling in your stomach about going it alone. Not only do you have someone to be scared with, but you can also prop each other up, throw ideas around and share expenses.
How it happened for us.
We don’t want this to sound like an interviewing process, because that’s not the way the Partners in ParanormYA formed at all. But you definitely should hook up with someone you’re compatible with, so putting out some pre-feelers are necessary.
For us, the timing was perfect. We followed each other’s blogs and commented and got to know each other. Gwen Gardner said she was self-publishing in the near future. Angela Brown was tempted to self-publish also. We talked, then talked a little bit more and then decided we wanted to do a release and blog tour together. We became Critique Partners and edited each other’s novels – twice. It was a very compact and self-contained system we had formed, a one-stop shop.
Sound easy? For us, it was. But keep in mind the things we had in common. It worked for us because we both have a strong work ethic. We’re reliable and hard-working. We both write YA Paranormal. We also found that we both have a quirky sense of humor and loved playing with our characters.
Yes, but how does it work?
How was this going to work? You have two people, two books, and touring together could make for one long blog tour post.
By the time we launched our tour, we knew each other’s characters and were able to write them all, like those writers on sitcoms. We had them interact with each other, wrote playful posts where they appeared on game shows and interacted with blog hosts. Of course we did some serious interviews, too. And people loved it!
Planning Punch List:
- Begin planning 2 – 3 months in advance
- Break news of the event on your respective blogs, ask for host volunteers, post a Comment Linky and ask hosts what they want in a post and about timing
- Schedule the hosts, hitting up the busy, high traffic blogs early
- Brainstorm on post ideas – split them equally. We made a spread sheet with hosts, dates and topic, then consistently wrote our posts a week ahead of time.
- Exchange/share all links, bios, author photos, book covers. We switched off weeks where one of us sent the post, links, bios, author photos, book covers, Rafflecopter links.
- Brainstorm on Rafflecopter and giveaway ideas
- Decide who will do the Rafflecopter or Linky
- Split up expenses, you pay for this and I’ll pay for that
Joint Marketing Punch List:
- Open a gmail account for joint email
- Open joint Blog, Twitter and Facebook accounts
- Share all passwords
- Make a joint link list, so you’ll both have access to each other’s links for submitting tour posts
- Write up pre-made tweets, then exchange tweet sheets so you’re not just pimping yourself.
- Invite all your author friends to “like” your Facebook page and follow you on Twitter
- We had a weekly giveaway on Rafflecopter (a 3 week tour – a bit too long), culminating in a final Big Swag Giveaway on Halloween.
- Have tour badges and banners made (ours were donated).
- Post your tour schedule in the sidebar of your blogs
What’s our secret?
We used each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Angela is more creative and quick, running in all different directions. Gwen is lower keyed and organized.
But the real key to a successful joint book release and blog tour is communication, reliability and respect.
Are you thinking of teaming up for a joint book release and blog tour?
We’d be happy to answer any questions.
~~~Angela and Gwen
Connect with Angela Brown:
Neverlove – For Abigail and Basil, there is a choice they both fear making. Duty or love? There can be only one.
For seventeen-year-old Abigail, one rash decision leads to an unexpected chance for redemption. At V’Salicus Academy, a unique institute where she trains to become an agent of heaven, she struggles with the pain of her past, the changes of the present and accepts a loveless future until her path – and heart – crosses with Basil’s.
Basil’s off-chance slip of the tongue binds him to a life of servitude to the Devourer, the master of hell. His existence has no upside until a chance meeting with Abigail brings new perspective.
Keeping the truth of their present lives from each other brings disaster when secrets are brought to light and the life of Abigail’s mentor is put on the line.
Can Abigail and Basil save her mentor and salvage their love amid the chaos? Or will they lose it all, destined forever to NEVERLOVE?
Connect with Gwen Gardner
A modern day medieval village teeming with spirit activity is no place for sixteen-year-old psychic and ghost whisperer Indigo Eady. Not when all she wants is to forget about these supposed gifts. After all, when needed most, it didn’t help save her father.
After her father’s death, Indigo moves to a new town and has the chance to start over where nobody knows about her psychic abilities. Hiding her secret is easy until the ghost of Bart Bagley ruins everything by barging in and begging her to solve his murder. Tempted to ignore him, she only relents because he was the father of her new friend, Badger. That and the survivor’s guilt she feels over her own father’s death.
A murder investigation is hard enough without the disruption of interfering ghosts and a mysterious soul collector with her name topping its list. But when Indigo’s psychic abilities short-circuit, sparks start to fly in more than one direction. The resulting mishaps compromise the success of the investigation and put the budding but fragile attraction between Indigo and Badger at risk.
When the body count mounts and a suspect ends up dead, Badger becomes a “person of interest” and they must surge ahead to solve the murders before they become the next victims.
Connect with Partners in ParanormYA