Happy Monday, WG2E-Land!
Coming out of a holiday weekend full of superfab holiday movies, I found myself stuck on this wonderful concept from Disney’s “The Santa Clause” movie (the first in the Tim Allen-starring franchise):
“Seeing Is Not Believing, Believing Is Seeing”
Remember the Snow Globe that served as the basis for this theme?
Here’s the exact scene in the movie…
Wouldn’t it be wonderful, if just like Bernard and Charlie, we could shake a snow globe and all the Bestseller Lists we need to be checking, then checking twice, would just appear amidst the swirling snowflakes?
Last week, one of WG2E-Land’s terrific regular commenters – Debra Burrough’s – ask me this question when I mentioned my ebooks have recently been on something like 89 Bestseller Lists:
Wow, eighty-nine best sellers lists! That’s spectacular!
I don’t mean to sound dumb, but I am rather new to epublishing and I’d like to know where one finds all of these lists?
Debra’s question was perfect…and no question is ever dumb…well, unless you don’t ask it.
As writers writing-for-publication, we spend a bunch of time in our worlds unable to “see” the results/impact of our work, and thus, we doubt ourselves and have a tough time believing in the possibility that readers might just luuuvvv our books!
No one can possibly understand that “Seeing Is Not Believing, Believing Is Seeing” like a writer can!
If we didn’t believe in ourselves and the chance that someday our books will be “seen” and adored by readers the world over, we’d have given up years ago, right?
Once you’re Ebook is out there, you can believe, because, for the first time, you may have the opportunity to ”see” your success on Bestseller Lists.
But, like Debra asked…Where Do You Find All These Bestseller Lists?
Here’s the scoop:
1. On Amazon, you look right below your Amazon Rank for a listing of all the Bestseller Lists you’ve hit (thanks to using my Categorization technique). Here are a few of my results:
For LIP GLOCK
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,643 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,658 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Cooking, Food & Wine > Special Occasions
- #24 in Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Entertaining
- #38 in Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Occasions
2. On Barnes & Noble Nook, you can find your rank on your Ebook’s page, but I have yet to find a way to figure out what Bestseller Lists you’re on there except to watch each weekend’s emails announcing this week’s B&N Nook Must-Read Picks. For the last six weeks now, at least four of my books have made those Bestseller Lists each week! Here’s an example of this past week’s superfab B&N marketing blitz…”Finished Stuffing Yourself? Now Stuff Your Nook with Top Bargain Books”:
3. For iPad, thanks to one of our over the moon superfab WG2E Commenters (Lisa Scott…I think it was), I found the terrific site Book Chart, which shows your Bestseller List appearance on iPad US, UK and Canada too! Here’s my scoop there:
To use Book Chart, you just put in your author name and/or book title, and if you’ve made the iPad Bestseller Lists, your data will be there!
4. For Sony, Kobo and Smashwords, I’m clueless…so if any of y’all have resources to get Bestseller Scoop on those platforms, please let us know!!!
Now then…Why is making these Bestseller Lists sooo very important?
Making these Bestseller Lists give you and your books Visibility!
It’s basic psychology really…
People want what they think everyone else already has.
In other words, for most peeps, Seeing Is Believing.
So when a potential reader sees that your Ebooks are on these Bestseller Lists, they know tons of peeps are buying your books, which makes them more likely to take a chance on you because they now believe you produce great books! They’ve seen your success in the bestseller rankings.
Another side note here…it’s not just about the Bestseller Lists via the platforms themselves (i.e. Amazon, B&N, iPad, etc.).
It also helps to be listed as Top Picks on Ereader-Centric Blogs - like Kindle Nation Daily (which will feature MADNESS UNDER THE MISTLETOE the weeks of Christmas and New Year’s), Ereader News Today (which is featuring my LIP GLOCK this Thursday, which could get me on Amazon’s glorious, bestsellers’ Movers & Shakers List), Pixel of Ink, etc.
It also helps for your readers to create Listmania Lists on Amazon where they list your books as some of their faves.
And, it also helps to then use your appearances on these lists on your social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter! (For examples, read through the posts on my Facebook Wall as well as those of Tonya Kappes, Talli Roland and Sibel Hodge. You’ll be able to see how we make these wonderful lists work for us even more!)
It’s Your Turn, WG2E-Land: How are you tracking your Bestseller Lists Appearances? What sites are you using to discover your Ebooks’ Bestselling Sales Status?
The Best of The WG2E Believing Is Seeing Wishes — D. D. Scott