Happy Monday, WG2E-Land!
As we kick-off 2012, I thought I’d share with y’all what this new year will be focused on in my D. D. Scott-ville Indie Epublishing Empire…
Indie Epublishing 2012 is The Year of The Reader, Purple Cows…and Purple Horses Too!
What do I mean by that?
For starters, my sole focus for 2012 will be to Find Readers Then Get To Know Them and Learn How and Where They Discover New Authors and then Buy Those Authors’ Books.
So…using this image right here…
I’m looking for answers to these questions:
1. Who is the person holding the coffee cup? Male/Female? Age? Occupation? What genres does he/she like to read?
2. Which Ereader is he/she using? (Kindle, Nook, Sony, Kobo, iPad or is it a SmartPhone, Laptop or PC) Where did he/she buy it? (Amazon, Big Box Store like Sam’s Club, Costco, Wal-Mart, Target, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Staples, Online Stores of any of these, etc.)
3. Where does he/she buy the Ebooks for their Ereader(s)? (Amazon, B&N online, small online presses)
4. How many Ebooks does he/she buy per month? How many of those does he/she read?
5. What prices for Ebooks are auto buys for them? Which are not, and must be an author they love and will pay more for? How much more will they pay? What price do they pay for authors new to them? Versus price paid for their favorite authors?
6. What about their coffee and treat choices? Where do they buy them? For example, are they hangin’ in coffee shops where other readers are hangin’ or are they drinking at home, relying on nothing but the internet to influence their buying decisions? And if they are at home, which websites “show ‘em the books”?
Now then…what am I going to do with all of this superfab intriguing scoop?
I’m using it to determine how I can make myself – as an Author – stand-out enough that I’m the author whose book this reader is reading while sipping coffee/tea and munching on crackers and/or cookies!!!
Let’s look at it this way, using one of my fave analogies…
How can I be…
The Purple Horse in Oz’s waaay wonderful Emerald City?
Why the Purple Horse?
Because purple farm animals seem to work in the business world! LOL!
I took the A-mazing Seth Godin’s Purple Cow Philosophy and applied it to my Yellow Brick Road to Indie Epublishing Oz.
Or…as Seth says in the beginning of his must-read book PURPLE COW: TRANSFORM YOUR BUSINESS BY BEING REMARKABLE:
“Taste like chicken” is not a compliment
Everything tastes like chicken, right? Or at least that’s what you say when something doesn’t have enough of its own flavor to really stand out on its own.
Another way to look at it…there ‘s a ton of damn green in Emerald City, but purple anything…yep, not so much!
As an Indie Epub Author…
YOU DO NOT WANT TO TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!!!
You want to have your very own pizzazz and flavor…plus perhaps be something purple too!!!
If 2011 was The Year For The Author
2012 is The Year of The Reader
But how are you gonna make sure those readers know who you are and all about your superfab books?!
That’s what I’m after in 2012!!!
Only Writers and Readers are necessary for Publishing.
Writers and Readers
We’re the Writers.
So now…let’s find us some readers!!!
***Note: I’ll spend a bunch of time here in WG2E-Land 2012 helpin’ y’all learn how and where to find Readers!!!***
But in The Mean Time…It’s Your Turn, WG2E-Land: How and Where Do You Plan to Find Readers in 2012?
The Best of The WG2E 2012 Wishes — D. D. Scott