Self-Publishing Is Easy

…And Other Myths.

Although self-publishing has come a long way since its very humble beginnings, attitudes and misconceptions still linger — particularly in the UK. In America, agents scour Kindle best-selling lists for new clients and encourage existing clients to self-publish; NYT best-selling writers choose to go out on their own; and authors are successful in both traditional and self-publishing spheres.

In Britain, though, self-publishing is still viewed by some with suspicion and trepidation — a sense that successful indie authors are bleeding traditional publishing dry by setting low prices for poor-quality work; that the whole thing is a trend that will soon dry up, leaving the rogues penniless.

As a UK author who has recently left a traditional publisher to self-publish her latest novel, it’s safe to say I am very tired of the constant negativity and scepticism I face when I talk about self-publishing. So, although I realise I’m preaching to the converted here, I’d love to debunk a few myths that sadly still abound.

Self-publishing is easy. Oh lordy, I wish this were true. Having control is great, but it’s also very scary. If your book doesn’t sell, it’s down to you -- no more passing the buck to your publisher. There are also five zillion details to deal with, not to mention getting to grips with promotion, hiring editors and cover designers, keeping track of expenses for tax purposes, setting yourself up as a business, staying on top of developments in the industry… I could go on, but I’ll stop there. Self-publishing is not the easy option, by a long shot. It takes a lot of mental fortitude and courage to go out on your own.

Self-published novels are poor quality. While it’s very true that some self-published novels could do with a very good edit, tarnishing everything with the same brush is as bad as me saying ‘all romance novels are silly bodice rippers’. We rail against genre snobbery, so why should we indulge snobbery against indie authors? Although typos are pesky little buggers, I hire a professional editor to look at my work, and I know many other indie writers do, too. Self-published does not equal poor quality.

People who self-publish only do so because they couldn’t get their work traditionally published. Wrong. Self-publishing is a choice, not a last resort. I left my traditional publisher because I wanted to, not because I had to, and I’m not alone in this.

Self-published novels in the Top 100 are only there because they’re cheap. Oh, this one bothers me. Many traditionally published novels are priced cheaply, too, and they’re nowhere near the top 100.

Self-published authors are just looking for a quick buck. Okay, I’ll be honest and say that money definitely factored into my decision to leave my publisher. After all, why would I continue to only earn a royalty when I could take a larger cut? But a quick buck, no. I’m looking to make this into a career; to build a readership. Money is nice, but I prefer readers.

Your turn: what self-publishing myth would you like to see busted?

EasyFreeAds Blog News Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google Yahoo Buzz StumbleUpon

Comments

1. Jo Carroll says:

Self-publishing is free.

Yes, it is possible to put a book on Kindle without it costing a penny (or a cent). But if you don’t invest in an editor, a copy editor, someone to help with the cover – then you cannot be sure that this is the best book it can possibly be.

If you want to your book to be taken seriously, then you owe it to yourself to invest in services that will make it perfect.

• Talli Roland says:

That’s a great point, Jo. It’s NOT free at all – we still have costs. Thanks for that!

• Greg Carrico says:

There are also opportunity costs for our time. Even if you are the perfect editor, can design a top notch cover, can promote on your own blog and website that you designed and developed, what is your hourly wage from this work? I don’t know about most other indie authors, but at this stage, I could work in fast food and come out a little ahead after my costs and time are factored in. This is a cumulative, long term affair that takes patience, endurance, skill…Oh! and money! Free to e-pub? I think not.

• Talli Roland says:

Yes, I forgot to factor in our time! Last week, I worked out how many novels I’d have to sell at 99p to make minimum wage for my work. I think it was something like 11,000. I’ve sold about half that so far – almost there! :)

2. Fionnuala says:

Hi Tally
    I too have been one of said sceptics poo pooing it as ‘a last resort’. However, I’m fast changing my mind. One of the problems I have is the fact that it’s NOT easy. I’m going to have to become my own self publicist ( though that is something that a lot of traditionally published authors also have to do). I’m quite sure there are things one can do to make it the very best it can be before unleashing it onto the digital world and they’re the things I need to know. Thanks to you and this website for providing Info to people to help them make their own decision about which way to go. For me, the jury is still out but I think if I’m honest – I’m terrified…
    F

• Talli Roland says:

Hi Finnoula! It *is* terrifying – I know I was very scared to go it alone. There is a lot to learn. However, the great thing is that people are so very helpful and there are so many resources available. Plus, you can take your time; no need to learn everything at once. It is fantastic to take control of your own timelines and with the right quality control checks in place, self-publishing is a fantastic experience. Feel free to ask me any questions whenever you like!

• I second what Tally says. There is no such thing as a perfect book release. :) We all learn new things every time.

3. Fionnuala says:

Oops Talli, not Tally. Sorry

4. Sibel says:

At the start, self publishing was a last resort for me. I’d had so many rejections, what was I supposed to do? Let my novels sit, unloved, in a dusty drawer somewhere? Now, it’s a completely different story! I love the freedom of being in control, and yes, the royalties are nice because you earn so much more as an indie. Any trad-publishing deal now would have to be amazing for me to take it, so self-pubbing is very much a first resort for me! :)

• Talli Roland says:

Hi Sibel! I think it’s fantastic how self-publishing has gone from being a last resort for you to a first option – and how a traditional deal would have to be amazing for you to choose it over self-pubbing. Just goes to show that there are many options available to writers now!

5. I think there would be a lot less prejudice with self-publishing if there weren’t the writers who didn’t invest the time and effort it took to put out a quality book or for writers who didn’t have a couple of manuscripts under their belts to learn the craft of writing. A quick download of a first chapter on Amazon separates the big self-publishing players from those who rush to publish a book. That said, I’m reading a book from a small press now. I’m near the end and have already found 4 typos. It’s got slow moving bits and repetition. It’s not like these problems don’t exist in traditional publishing. Self-publishing has a lot more titles out per year, so it increases the scale of problems. I just wrote a post about Susan Kaye Quinn’s self-pub YA Open Minds, which I believe can stand up to any traditionally published dystopian YA. It’s one of the best ones I’ve read in the genre.

• Talli Roland says:

Susan’s book is a great read, Theresa – I really enjoyed it, too. You’re spot on that many of the same quality issues exist in traditionally published books, as well. I’ve read many from big and small presses that are jam-packed with typos and bizarre formatting.

6. Lois Lavrisa says:

Talli, terrific points and all sooo true! Thanks for the great post.

7. D.D. Scott says:

Here’s the myth I’d like to see vanish without a trace:

“All I want to do is write. So I’m sticking with the TradiPubs so they can do all the marketing, and I can just write.”

To which I say…NOT…THAT AIN’T HAPPIN’ ANY TIME SOON!

It doesn’t matter if you’re TradiPubbed or Indie Epubbed in that the marketing is totally on you!!!

Superfab post, Talli!

U Go, Girl!!!

8. Hmmm. This is going to be controversial…

Self-publishing success takes nothing but luck.

I had a down day yesterday. Maybe that whole what goes up, must come down? After an amazing ride up the free charts and then the paid charts, I began believing I was *just* lucky since other books that went free on the same day didn’t get the same results. This was depressing. Why? Because I was ignoring and devaluing ALL of the work I did to:
    - Make sure my product description and author bio/photo rivaled a Big 6.
    - The twenty or so blog posts I wrote in January, getting my name out there.
    - The hours I’ve spent working through signing ebooks for each readers.
    - The hours I spent vamping and revamping my outline for CANCELLED to make sure the story didn’t drag.
    - The hours I spent making friends and colleagues on social media that when it came time for me to go free, stepped up to the plate to help me hit a home run.

I don’t doubt that there was a little luck involved, and I certainly am not vain enough to think that when I go free again at the end of this week, I’m going to see the same results. But yesterday was very, very dark for me. I seriously wondered what in the heck am I doing, is it all meaningless etc. I promise, I’m not bipolar. I just forgot who I was for a little bit, that no matter what happens, I’m always going to keep pushing that plow through any rocks and obstacles that get in my way.

The myth is that it just takes getting lucky. I’d say success, not runaway mega-selling status, but just earning out on a book (which I just did, for the first time), takes hard work day in and day out.

Oh, another myth is that all of us self-published authors make up our own reviews. That one really ticks me off.

• And that its only us and our families that like them and leave reviews. That is so annoying.

• Sorry you had a ‘down’ day Elizabeth …hope today is a brighter one. You’ve had fantastic success, as you say – that can strangely enough also be the cause of people feeling wobbly too! Sales figures notwithstanding – if was a great book one day it still will be – whether or not hordes are still buying it!

Well said, Giselle!

• Thanks today is better. I finally got signups going for my Ebook Cruise in March. I’m putting together a free event for authors to cross promote with blog posts based on their setting. Travel Far, Pay Low Fare. :) The event is being sponsored by The-Cheap.net and hopefully a few other reader blogs once I have an idea how many books etc. I have signed up. http://eawestwriting.com/ebookcruise/join-the-crew/

The Trick or Treat I ran last year was a blast and readers really like interactivity. So that’s what I’m putting together, a virtual cruise via ebooks.

We pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off. And it’s off to the races, again.

• Sibel Hodge says:

You’re very right, Elizabeth! I think it’s normal to have down days where you self-doubt, I know I do. And luck really does play a big part. No matter how hard we work our asses off, it’s something that we can’t control. But then you’ll get an email from a reader asking when your next book will be out and telling you they love your work, or a friend will give you a shout out, or you get a good review, and that makes up for it! :)

• Sibel Hodge says:

Just signed up for your Ebook cruise, Elizabeth – sounds like heaps of fun :)

• Yeah, by mental evil-doer, the one who says “they’re all going to laugh at you” just got a big megaphone yesterday and said “You really do still suck. You were just LUCKY. You hear me? LUCKY. Your next book is going to flop. You’ll see.”

Don’t worry, I took that megaphone and shoved it up her @$$!!!

And yes, I do have readers who are lovely and wonderful and send me Facebook wall posts asking how I’m doing because they’re thinking about me. #lovemyjob

• Talli Roland says:

Well said, Elizabeth! We also make our own luck with all the hard work we do — everything you listed has contributed to your success! There is sometimes an element of luck, but there are many things that are under our control and nothing we’ve done should be discounted or devalued. Well done for recognising that.

As for the reviews . . . sigh. This one annoys me, too.

• Jamie S. says:

That that one about the reviews – don’t get me started!

9. You know it’s funny, no one here mentioned that there are very bad, traditionally published books out there. I find mistakes all the time in books by big name authors, published by big houses, but people don’t talk about it. Also even Amazon caters to the big houses. If you didn’t know it, the higher priced your ebook is the higher your ranking is, they get moved up faster than a cheaper book. There are lots of perks they get that we don’t making it extra hard for us.

I agree, this is not the easy, or the only option. It’s work, a job, and I get up and I may be self employed, but wearing all the hats is exhausting sometimes.

I also find that it’s a pat answer for citics to say, ‘needs editing’ for a indie author, no matter how much it’s been edited. The way you write is subjective, like art. There will always be someone who thinks it should be done another way.

Thanks for the great post, Talli!

• Talli Roland says:

You’re absolutely right, Elizabeth. The same errors also exist in traditionally published novels, too – and I’d also like to point out that I have seen some ridiculous examples of formatting, too. I would love to think that we’re all in the same boat and learning and moving forward together. It’s a shame that indies often get a lot of stick when the same mistakes are shared by both big and small.

10. PJ Sharon says:

This is great stuff, Talli. I’m sending the link to friends and relatives who still think I’m just fooling around on the internet:-)

11. Pam Howes says:

A great post, Tallie. I love being Indie. I’m proud of it. I don’t have the time and patience to hang around waiting for someone to reject my work because I’m not a B list celeb, don’t cook like Jamie Oliver or have implants like Katie Price! I love all the marketing and meeting so many other writers who do the same thing. I wouldn’t have met half of them at all if I’d been under the wing of a trad publisher. I don’t have to share my royalties, I have the final say in my cover designs; my girl always gives me plenty of choice from the brief I give her, and I have the best editor around. I’m very lucky in that I’ve achieved sales beyond my wildest dreams in the last few months, and thanks to the Select freebie scheme have had three number 1 sagas and many knock on sales on the rest of my series. I would have to be made a right hefty offer to give up this freedom, and be still allowed to choose my own covers! Onwards and upwards to us all. :-)

• Talli Roland says:

Onwards and upwards indeed! It is very good to have your career under your control – and to work to your timeline! Congrats on all your success so far, Pam.

12. Fantastic post Talli – well said (as usual)! Self-publishing is definitely not an ‘easy’ option and it takes some guts. If we don’t believe in our own products – why should we expect anyone else to?

• Talli Roland says:

Very true, Giselle! We need to believe in ourselves first and foremost. PS – I just finished ‘Falling for You’ and I LOVED it!

13. Jamie S. says:

Great post! The one thing I can certainly attest to is there is NO quick buck to be made. Not unless you’re one of the fortunate few.
    But as they say good things come to those who wait and who are persistent1

• Talli Roland says:

Thanks, Jamie. You’re right – only a fortunate few can make a quick buck. But I don’t want to make a quick buck, anyway… I’d much prefer longevity!

14. cc carlquist says:

I keep a quote by JA Konrath on my desk and every so often (sometimes every day) I pick it up and read it again:
    “Talent and hardwork does not mean the world owes you. You have to keep at it until you get lucky.”
    I just self-published my very first book and it was not easy for me … I’m sooooo non-techy (Thank God for Guido Henkel). And I’m not a web butterfly (I wish I were), which is why some of you on this WG2 site truly amaze me with your determination and energy and savvy. And all the work. Whew! I just hope everybody here gets lucky soon enough! The cat’s meow.

• Talli Roland says:

I love that quote! It’s all about persistence and hard work… and keeping at it because you love it, too. Thank you for your kind words about WG2E! I’m so pleased you find it helpful.

15. Julie Day says:

I agree with you, Talli. I have seen lots of typos in trad published books. It isn’t easy but I feel happier that I have more control over what I do with my work. That I don’t have to wait all that time to find out if it is rejected or accepted. Then the wait for it coming out. I do like the freedom of being in control of it, and find it less stressful that way. And you can write what genre you want, without knowing it won’t be accepted cos it’s cross-genre. You do have to pay for various costs as others here have said: editors and cover designers. I am still learning my feet in this indie journey of mine.

• Talli Roland says:

Julie, exactly – the element of control and the ability to write without fearing rejection from agents is much less stressful. I’d say we still need to be mindful of our readers, but it’s nice to have readers to be mindful of!

16. Super post, Talli! Every point so true.

I also get a sad laugh when an Indie author gets rights back to a Trad published book, puts it out as an Indie, then some reviewer who doesn’t know the book had been vetted by pros at a Big 6 publishing house, comes along and picks on it for being unprofessional.

17. Great post, Talli! There are so many myths about self-publishing out there–we all need to be part of the debunking squad.

I also walked away from two traditional publishers and a fabulous agent in order to self-publish. In fact, I’ve yet to get my books uploaded because I’m still navigating the maze of trad publishing contract option clauses and non-compete clauses. But soon…very soon…my self-publishing journey will begin.

As for the quality issues–yes, there are often quality issues in traditionally published books. They’re usually fairly minor, but they are there. I really think that self-publishers–the ones who are serious about it and looking at it as a career (or future career if they’re stuck with the day job for the time being in order to keep the kids fed)–hold themselves to a *higher* standard of quality. At least they try.

At a traditional publishing house, our books are in the handsof strangers and we have little idea or say in what’s being done to them. With 15 books published, I never saw my cover art until it was a done deal. Never had a say. Rarely had a say in the back cover copy (although I actually got to write it for a few books when my editor was swamped). I had changes that I’d “stetted” go in anyway. Or corrections I’d made during proofreading get overlooked.

At publishing houses, editing and copyediting and typesetting/formatting is a job. With a salary. I’m not saying publishing house employees don’t care, because I’ve worked with some great ones, but for them a book is a product pumped out at a rate of dozens per month. They can only dedicate so much time to producing each one.

For us, a book is a child. We can spend whatever time it takes to get it right. Sure, we need to hire cover artists and copyeditors and proofreaders, etc. But they work at our direction and we have the final say.

That’s what I love most about self-publishing. I control the product soup-to-nuts.

Terrifying? You betcha. But also thrilling!

• Talli Roland says:

So true, Vickie! No one will care about our books as much as we, the creators, do — and we do need to hold ourselves to a very high standard. Soup-to-nuts control is one of the best things about self-publishing. I love that we can react quickly, experiment, and take risks we couldn’t with big publishing houses.

18. Great post! Indie publishing is work, it’s a ride and it’s my choice. Like everything else in life, occasionally people get lucky, but most of the time, it’s good old fashioned hard work that provides that overnight success.

Hi Nancy,

I know someone who, after 12 years of writing and trying to get traditionally published, is now having massive success on the Kindle charts. She laughs when she hears ‘overnight success’ , because it’s been a long hard road for her – but she didn’t give up!

19. Elle Strauss says:

Another great post, Talli! I enjoyed the comments too. So glad the myths are getting busted!

20. Laura Pep Wu says:

Hi Talli, as always well said. It saddens me that this is still the feeling in the UK, though I don’t doubt it. As a Brit living in the US, every time I go home I notice that there is a defiant attitude of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”, and that goes for the publishing methods too. In some areas I love how this preserves traditions and the culture in England (buildings, ceremonies, holidays etc) but with online technology it drives me mad!! The general trend seems to be that 18 months- 2 years after the US, the Brits will be won over. It happened with people using eReaders, it’ll happen with self-publishing.
    I also heard that Createspace is developing it’s own presence in the UK in 2012. That might change things a bit.

• LOL. Our house Laura is full of computers running various flavors of open source software. Here, the philosophy is “Hmmm, it’s working? That can’t be right. We must be able to make it do more, here poke it, break it, rebuild it. It’ll be stronger!” LOL.

We have no cable. We have an HTPC (home theater PC) hooked up to our TV and stream from Hulu and and other channels’ sites (like my daughter watches Disney shows with no commercials from Disney.com). Last weekend, my husband, took the perfectly FINE working machine, wiped the operating system, then lost the drives with all of our movies etc. loaded, found them, but broke the sound driver. So now, if I want to stream something through XBMC, I have to turn Pulse Audio off (he made me an icon) and if I want to stream through Firefox I have to turn Pulse Audio on. If I forget, no sound and my daughter, 2 years old, pronounces “Mickey Mouse broken, Mommy.”

• Talli Roland says:

Hi Laura! I think you’re right about the UK market being behind the US — but there are many agents in the UK who still insist on hard-copy post submissions… goodness knows when that will change! :)

The uptake of ebooks in the UK has been incredible fast. I hope attitudes toward self-publishing change quickly, too.

Interesting about CreateSpace! I hadn’t heard that!

21. Glynis Smy says:

Brilliant post, Talli. I have watched many authors move into the self publishing sector, and admired the effort they have put into their work. I support where I can as I feel it is important they are shown readers believe in independent authors too.

The lack of fine tuning and editing has created a bad press for the s/pubbed. It is so frustrating when I read how people are creating hate posts in forums against those who have chosen the independent route. They are assuming all s/p authors are going to be the same. I am nervous of venturing into the published world (as you know), and reading spiteful reviews can be off-putting. However, watching folk such as yourself rise above it all, is a valuable lesson on self belief.

• Talli Roland says:

Hi lovely G! It is frustrating when people tar us all with the same brush. But all we can do is keep writing, be the best that we can be (yes, cliche, I know), and give our readers quality products!

22. Yeah, the Brit’s are infamous on the snobbery front, though one encounters it more amongst the middle classes than within the elite in society!

As for hiring professional eds to go through one’s work (at cost) it’s an even bigger bugger when they fail us, as I’ve seen in all “our” self-pubbed novels. Thank God I’m not alone in this area of boo boo land. ;)

best
    F

• Talli Roland says:

No-one is immune to pesky typos! It’s so frustrating – I swear they crawl between the pages and multiply. Yes, despite professional editors, they seem to stay put. I’m fine with the odd typo or three. What puts me off as a reader is when I see loads and loads of grammatical errors that could be easily rectified with more care. It makes me cringe, because I feel for the author and the reader, both, in that situation.

23. Jamie S. says:

I forgot to add something. While self publishing is basically easy, it is by no means cheap. At least not until you start making sales from your books. As someone on a fix income I find myself having to decide where I can rob Peter to pay Paul in order to invest in my career as a writer each month. I don’t have a husband or family, it’s just little ol’ me. Fortunately I do have friends who are or have been editors, etc. who have so far been willing to give me a hand. Otherwise. . . So simplicity does come with other monsters. . .

24. Jill James says:

I’m with several people above. I wish the myth of good reviews being family and friends would die. I have maybe 1 or 2 reviews that are family or someone I know personally. The rest are happily strangers who bought the book, have no idea who they are.

• Jamie S. says:

What’s funny is I ask people I know who have read my stuff and actually ask them if they’d mind writing a review and none of them do!! Probably better, but I’d like to know what they really think. . .

• Talli Roland says:

It’s so irritating when some people assume glowing reviews are written by people we know! Some of my best reviews have been written by strangers.

25. A new day has just dawned for Indie authors. John Locke, one of the most prolific best selling Indie authors of all time has landed a deal with Simon & Schuster whereby he manufactures his own books and S&S distributes them throughout their marketing network. Although it remains uncertain, this could set precedent for other publishing companies to do the same. The advantage for them is they don’t have to spend money manufacturing the books but still get a piece of the action. This will allow them to save a great deal of money on staffing and allow them to get their pick of the best Indie books.

The way the system is now, a lot of very good Indie books slip through the large publishers’ fingers because agents and gatekeepers are too busy to take on new work. If they take a book that is already in print or ready to be manufactured in softback, they won’t have to worry about that anymore and can make more money. Bookstores, which are the backbone of the standard publishing industry, should also benefit from the lower costs.

• Talli Roland says:

Gerald, thank you for this update! i hadn’t heard that. Can I just ask what you mean by ‘manufacturing’? Is he printing them himself?

• John Locke works through Telemachus Press and they use Lightning Source as their POD
        (Print on Demand) manufacturer. Telemachus has published all of John’s books and handle most of the details involved in the manufacture.

26. Jill Mora says:

Terrific post Talli!

From a reader’s point of view, it’s enlightening to see what you all have to go through, to get your books out there, for us to read. I have become a BIG fan of “the Indies,” as it offers me the opportunity to read wonderful books, that may have been rejected, by the Big6P. Do some of the SP Books have editing errors? Yes. Are some of the stories a little thrown together? Yes. Does that bother me? NO! I’ve purchased hard cover books that I couldn’t finish, for the same reasons and paid a LOT more for those.

I get just as ticked off as you guys do, about those, worthless, critical, spiteful reviews. It’s not nice to hurt people’s feelings, and serves no logical purpose. If I find an excess, of editing errors, I try to find a way to contact the author in private. I think Amazon should give us a place to write reviews about the reviewers to give them their comeuppance. :)

Love you SP authors, all I can say is “Keep on writing, and I’ll keep reading!”

27. Cate Dean says:

Hi Talli,

having spent more hours than I care to admit formatting my novella, I can say this – self-publishing is not easy. I compare it to building a house (which I have also done) – you are in charge of every detail, every decision, and the outcome is the result of those decisions.

I could just throw my book up without editing, or without checking the format to see if it is consistent and clean. But I know I will have a sideways house if I do that (see how I snuck in the analogy?:-)). So I take the high road, which is HARDER, and polish that baby before I let it out into the world.

I hope the viewpoint changes over there for you soon. And thank you for a great post!

~Cate

28. Great post, Talli. I agree, self publishing, if you want to do it right, isn’t easy. But there are a great many serious writers out there who care about how their ‘product’ looks, and put in the time and the effort to make sure that the cover and editing are the absolute best that they can be. In a lot of cases working with publishers, the cover decisions aren’t the authors to make. Or the title in some cases.
    I’m all for authors having the largest possible imput into these decisions as it really makes me proud to see one of my finished books out there. Getting sales is great. Getting good reviews, even better. But the satisfaction of having a book out there, available for readers that you’re proud of, for me, tops the lot!

• Talli Roland says:

Yes – absolutely! Thanks for that, Sally. As Giselle pointed out, if we can’t be proud of what we’ve created, how can we expect readers to be?

29. LK Watts says:

One more myth: if you self publish you’ll have John Locke’s success overnight. Because epublishing is instant, so too will be your success.

Er… no.

• Yes, this is a myth. However, John Locke has developed some fascinating techniques for selling his books, and the millions he has sold tell the story. Everyone should read his book on how he did it. I’m still not good at it, but one thing he does is use Twitter a lot, his blog, and he steers people to his website. It can be found by looking for john Lcke books. I try to do that as well, and I am doing better.

I write non-traditional western novels, which have been catching on much like a lot of other, “retro-things.” But the reality is that most people associate western novels with the older L’Amour types that have been dying for some time. The mythology is just so far out of date and uninteresting, that people ignore them. With the new books, reality is presented as it is seen today. History is presented correctly, people are shown with all their faults, the hero doesn’t just get the girl, he really gets her … or she gets him. Western romance (who would have ever thought of such a genre) has been extremely hot. Women are reading much more than they used to, and they want to see women in tight spots and get out of them by using their wits, which before 1970, were thought not to exist. You can see my blog and website at http://www.mobleymeadows.com Also, as a member of the Western Writers of America, I have all the western writers’ addresses and last known email addresses. This really helps, for writers are also readers.

30. Judith Lown says:

I just launched my first ebook, A Sensible Lady: A Traditional Regency Romance, with 3 free days with amazon. And Wow! I thought I would be lost in the crowd. But I’m already up to over 4oo downloads. Granted, that’s when its free, but the instant exposure is amazing. My first book, which was published traditionally couldn’t have possibly gotten that amount of immediate attention. I’m stunned!